I purchased two locally grown Gala apples last week. We’re not huge fruit eaters in this house but I figured they would get been eaten at some point during the week. Since they were still sitting on our counter this morning, I asked Mike if he just didn’t like apples.
“I like them, I just prefer them cut up,” he said.
I laughed out loud.
So, the task of the day amongst the usual Sunday ritual of gym--meal prep--laundry was to come up with a recipe so these apples could be eaten (to Mike's liking).
All the ingredients used, I already had in the house. Fair warning to anyone who tries this recipe, it is 100% from scratch. Comments and tips are welcome!
2 large gala apples washed and diced, skin on
4 TBSP Truvia divided
3 TBSP unsweetened apple sauce
1 scoop NutraBio Vanilla Whey Protein Isolate
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup oatmeal ground into oat flour
1/2 cup almonds chopped
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
4 tsp cinnamon, divided
1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Coat a non-stick 9x9 baking pan with cooking spray of choice.
- In a mixing bowl combine the apples, applesauce, 1 TBSP of Truvia, and 2 tsp ground cinnamon. Toss well and place in baking dish.
- In the same bowl combine the oatmeal, oat flour, almonds, protein powder, and remaining cinnamon.
- Melt the 3 TBSP of Truvia in the coconut oil and add the oil mixture to the dry ingredients and stir.
- Pour into baking dish to cover the apples.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is nicely browned.
- Serve alone or with your favorite topping.